Friday, November 5, 2010

Mattie

How is it that in my short-lived (in the grand scheme of things) blog, I have written three tributes to three different dogs? Today is no different.

Mattie Meyer - my in-law's family dog - passed away today at age 15 (yes, a 15 year old Golden Retriever).

It's odd for me to think that Mattie won't be at the Meyer house, wagging her tail and following Dain Sr. around the house the next time we go there. Mattie has been in that house every time I've gone there since Dain and I started dating. I remember so much about her...

I remember the early days of hanging out at their house and Mattie nosing her way in between Dain and I on the couch - and setting her paw on Dain's leg - as if to tell me to "back off". :) Dain claims that Mattie was wild and crazy until age 4 - mostly when I'm complaining about the hyper state of our 5 year old Golden - however I don't remember her being out of control or jumping up on anyone. I remember being impressed that she knew her limits and didn't go past her "line" into the formal living room or upstairs. I remember always seeing her wag nearly her whole body around my father-in-law, husband or brother-in-laws. I remember her having her "one toy" Nylabone that she would get once or twice a year and carry around to show you, but would never share it. I remember her rolling on her back on the carpet. I remember her "dinosaur bone" that she had in the backyard. I remember when we brought 8 week old Penny over on her first day with us, and them running through the backyard, Penny thinking Mattie could feed her, Mattie running away, and Penny tiring out after just a few steps. I remember Mattie being so good when we brought baby D over to their house hauling his monitor and car seat, stretching him out on the carpet or passing him around and Mattie not even batting an eye or trying to get involved. I remember one of my favorite pictures of D, laying grinning on the floor at about 9 months old next to a grinning Mattie. I remember D getting bigger and giving Mattie treats with "boo-pa", and checking on Mattie outside to see if she needed to come in. I remember seeing how the "man's best friend" idea of a dog was truly personified between my father-in-law and Mattie.

She was truly a wonderful dog. And she will be missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to a special member of the family.

Stephanie Wells said...

What a good pic of Maahhtie!