Friday, July 31, 2009

Iams

Well - this will be a deviation from my normal posts...but not from what's important to me.

My first "baby" was Daisy, my fat fluffy white cat that I got when she was not so fat in my college days. She's a great cat...who is currently living with my parents.

Yes, she is a great cat - I didn't kick her out. She's simply living with them temporarily while our house is on the market. Apparently seeing a cat or a litter box in a house is a big turn-off for some potential buyers. Daisy has lived with my parents for brief periods in the past - and to be honest - I think she prefers life with them.

This post is not about that, although THANKS AGAIN MOM & DAD for watching her. It's about cat food. Fatty was running out of food so my mom called to see where to buy her typical brand - and I told her it's not available down in central Illinois where they live. She's going to have to eat something else - and when my mom suggested Iams brand and I COMPLETELY protested - she wondered why. Turns out my office-mates didn't know either. Iams is CRUEL.

Yep - back in the early 2000's - Iams' labs were busted for keeping dogs in cement cells and bare cages, left on paint chipped floors, were kept in sweltering temperatures and even had hunks of their thigh muscles removed. They neglected dogs and cats without a vet's care - and did nothing about it. The lab itself was closed and paid $33,000 (which is NOT enough) - and Iams claimed they would change their ways, but then were busted again for cruel and unusual testing on rats and mice. They still have a "non-invasive" lab - but they will not allow anyone from animal welfare leagues in to check it out.

Even if they have started to clean up their act - - there are literally dozens if not more options for cat and dog food. If you use Iams for your pet, I STRONGLY urge you to switch brands.

Okay - Soapbox Over!!

(In case you ever want to know if you are supporting companies that DO unnecessary animal testing - I have had a link over on the right for a while - to a site that lists companies that do & don't test on animals).

No comments: