Friday, February 18, 2011

Wherever D is...

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know...so I sent love to follow wherever you go"

This is the opening line to the tear-jerking, adorable book that we bought for D for Valentine's Day.
I try to find him books with the theme of the holiday there, yet not strong enough that they have to be put away with decorations because they are clearly a Valentine's/Easter/Thanksgiving book. This year's Valentine's gift was no exception. And this book is perfect...except it makes me cry when I read it.

Check it out. It's an amazing book by the same author/illustrator that wrote "On the Night You Were Born" and "It's Time to Sleep My Love". Nancy Tillman uses animal images, almost like watercolors in most of her books - and the illustrations with the children in this particular book are so lifelike and beautiful they seem to jump off the page. The writing itself, of course, is amazing as well.

With lines like "And if someday you're lonely, or someday you're sad, or you strike out at baseball, or think you've been bad...just lift up your face, feel the wind in your hair. That's me, my sweet baby, my love is right there", I bet you're crying too.

Happy Valentine's Day to my sweetheart baby, D.

No comments: