Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dreamy

What a dreamy weekend it was last weekend. We had planned to go to Indianapolis for a fun-filled weekend. Stay in a nice hotel, which I got a great deal on through Priceline, have D in a full-sized provided crib, and hit up the best things to do for families in the city. It was all great on paper, then D got a fever the night before we left.
But we went anyways - and we had a great time - even though they didn't give us a crib (claimed they were out), D fought a fever and fatigue, and we came back Saturday night instead of Sunday morning. We still visited the world's largest (literally) Children's Museum, drove through the campus of Butler University and ate some great food at Old Spaghetti Factory downtown. Here's some pics of little sicky at the sites - he went in waves of being completely fine to completely miserable.





I loved the quick stop to a Northern city area we made to visit an independent children's bookstore that I had somehow found online. And, I LOVED IT. D loved it too, but mostly for the standard Thomas the Tank Engine table that was in the middle of the store
This adorable store, named Kids Ink, is basically my dream realized. Except someone else is living it. I don't need to mention that I love children's books. One of my absolute dream careers is to own a children's bookstore...of course. The Shop Around the Corner in You've Got Mail is an unbelievable fairy-tale version of what I would love, but Kids Ink in Indianapolis was more realistic. It's a very cute store - with all kinds of unique toys. But their book organization was amazing. They had picture books separated from science books, readers separated from language books, everything was beautifully shelved and easy to see.
Here's a link to the pictures on their Facebook page - which the only real site they have.
We left the store with an English/French book for D. As Dain knows French, and I took 4 semesters in college (though still couldn't put anything on paper, at least I know enough that I could order at restaurants when I was in Paris). It reads in English and in French and is a cute book for a little boy that loves bears
What I love is - I've never seen a book like this in Barnes & Noble or Borders. While those stores are a threat to the independent booksellers of the world, I like to hope that someday, somewhere, there's room for my shop around the corner. For those children's books I love. For those that are hard to find and out of print. For kids and parents that appreciate books themselves. But, who knows if that will ever happen. Until then I will remain dreamy. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's open a bookstore. You can be Meg Ryan and I'll be Jean Stapleton.