Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Another Classic

It's NOT rare that I love a children's book. However it IS rare that I find a book that I love so much that I wish I'd known it when I was a kid.
Since this book was published in 2008...it's too bad for the 4 year old me.

Mary Had a Little Lamp


You read it right...LAMP.



Yes - this ADORABLE book by Jack Lechner, and illustrated by one of my favorite children's book artists Bob Staake, is a hoot from the word go. It's rhyming and follows the rhyming pattern and ideas of the nursery rhyme we all know and love.

The first page:
Mary had a little lamp,
the bendy, gooseneck kind.
And every where that Mary went
she dragged the lamp behind.


Another children's book blogger I've recently discovered had this to say - which I think is incredibly fitting:
How fun are these couplets going to be to read aloud with kids? They strike just the right note of rhythm and humor. This is a book that, as soon as I had finished it, I wanted to read it again. I can totally picture kids walking around quoting from it, in sing-song voices.

Mary drags this desk lamp with her everywhere - she even "took the lamp to school one day" as the original Mary did with her wooly friend. She takes it all kinds of places, but then eventually leaves it home from summer camp - - but you won't be disappointed in how Mary grows up and moves on at the end.

This is a NO DUH addition to our HUGE Amazon.com wish list - I highly suggest you add it to yours. D loves it - he loves the rhymes and even thinks it's laugh out loud funny. But I can see this as a hit with older kids too - especially with a back of the book that continues the "cute" theme with reviews from other nursery rhyme celebrities.

Love. I wonder how many times you can renew something from my library...

No comments: