Sunday, June 13, 2010

Poxed

So - D has chickenpox.

Yep.

He was vaccinated. MONTHS ago.

I know that it's not a guarantee but COME ON! Another reason why I just was not always a cheerleader for vaccines. There are no guarantees.

True to D form, however, is the fact that he has not slowed down one iota. I think that it will be a mild case as most kids who get them who have been vaccinated are supposed to have an easy run. However - I have no idea where these came from. D had two "mosquito bites" on his arm that showed up last Sunday - and I will stand by the fact that those were bites as they looked different.
Then yesterday when he woke up from his nap - he had what appeared to be more bites around his eyes and ears. I figured that it was something my little outdoorsman got from rolling around in the grass. However, when slowly a few more showed up on his arms and he woke up this morning with even more - and the previous turned into blistery looking numbers - we realized we were staring chickenpox in the face. Literally.

Poor kid. He's not trying to itch - not acting sick - and probably confused about why we spent the whole day inside and not running errands or to River Fest. He's so tough. And I know that he's probably at least a little uncomfortable. But you'd never know it.

Stay tuned for what the doc says tomorrow. I'm getting a 3 day weekend - but it's not by any means a vacation.

No comments: