Saturday, December 17, 2011

12 Books of Christmas - day 6

Ick I missed a day so I'll be doing 2 today it seems!

Day 6 is another book from Grandma Denise, she gave to D a couple years ago and it's adorable - he loves it and I've noticed it growing in popularity:

Snowmen at Christmas - by Caralyn Buehner


This book is a classic in the works - it's destined to be one that's discussed for generations. I didn't know it - but there are 2 or 3 other "snowmen" books by this author. Guess what we'll be looking for at the library? :)

Snowmen at Christmas tells the story of what the snowmen do on Christmas Eve once everyone is asleep. They sneak off the lawns where they reside and all head to the center of town. They enjoy the lights, and the spirit of the holidays. They see their friends, have treats, dance, and decorate a giant tree with snow. Even snowman St Nick arrives! Then as dawn approaches - they all head home to be back on your lawn by Christmas morning.

I love that this book inspires this kind of creative thinking. That it allows kids to think that their snowmen gets to spend the holiday with their friends and can magically come alive. That's the kind of thinking I had as a kid and I miss in adulthood.

The illustrations in this book really make the story. Illustrated by Mark Buehner (who I THINK is the author's husband) the pictures are the perfect compliment. He somehow accomplished evening drawings with the perfect amount of "light" coming from the snow, and city lights. These pictures are appreciated by adults and children in my mind.

This book is a no-brainer for your library list, or your holiday lists. It's an adorable story - with creative thinking inspired...which made it (in my opinion) a GREAT book.

No comments: