Saturday, December 17, 2011

12 Books of Christmas - day 7

Same day as 6...but you get the idea.

No list would be complete without THE GRINCH!!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas - by Dr. Seuss


To be completely honest - I haven't read this one since my youth and I'm SICK over it. However - I watch the movie every year and listen to the music every year as well. It's amazing and a classic that can't be avoided on this list.

While I may not have the book - which is a TRAVESTY on the part of my child-rearing - I love the story and the message.

If you've lived under a rock and don't know the premise - it's about the Who's - a group of citizens in the town of Whoville. They are the cute-illustrated people created by Dr. Seuss.
The grinch lives in a mountain outside of Whoville and is ANTI-Christmas. He trys to STEAL Christmas and all the festiveness from Whoville - especially a little girl named Cindy-Lou Who - the main character besides the Grinch.
What we learn in this moral - is that the citizens of Whoville don't need gifts or decorations or even food/parties - they just need love in their hearts for their friends/family to make their Christmas special. And the Grinch's heart grew that day. And forever more.

I love that this book reinforces the spirit of Christmas.
"Maybe Christmas.. he thought...doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

No comments: