Sunday, September 13, 2009

InfantSEE


No, I'm not clever enough to have come up with the title for this blog myself. InfantSEE is actually the name of a government program.
Here's the rub: InfantSEE®, a public health program, managed by Optometry's CharityTM - The AOA Foundation, is designed to ensure that eye and vision care becomes an integral part of infant wellness care to improve a child's quality of life. Under this program, AOA optometrists provide a comprehensive eye and vision assessments for infants within the first year of life regardless of a family's income or access to insurance coverage.

This program ensures that babies get their eyes checked along with the rest of their little bodies in their first year of life. If you think about it - unless your pediatrician referred you to a pediatric eye doctor - most people do not take their children in unless they notice a problem, or until their kid heads off to Kindergarten. With eye-related issues, it appears early-detection is the best, and risk factors can be identified in children as young as six months. So - I think this is great!

I had all but forgotten that I knew about this program. I had read about it in a magazine a long time ago and meant to cut out the blurb (I cut things out that I see in magazines so I don't forget about them). However - this program slipped my mind until recently, and now I have to rush as D is going to be ONE YEAR OLD in just a month and a half!! :(

I looked up providers in my area on the website and will call to make him an appointment. I encourage any of you that have a baby younger than one year to take advantage. It may seem ridiculous I guess - but a free comprehensive eye exam to just "check" is okay in my book!

No comments: