Sunday, September 6, 2009

Larry Shue

You probably don't know who that is. But I do. (Well, not personally). That is to say, I'm very familiar with his work.
Larry Shue is a playwright. I have him in mind because I'm working on the poster image for the next mainstage show at my theater, Geneva Underground Playhouse, "The Nerd".

"The Nerd" will open at G.U.P. in November. The short version is, it's the story of two Vietnam vets, one tells the other that he owes him one. Fast forward a few years, and one of the guys is having a gathering at his house, and his vet friend shows up at his door with his stuff, taking up the favor, needing to stay with him. Needless to say, he's a nerd.

I wish I could audition. I wish I could act again. I will someday, but I'm not going to spend my only time I have with my kid away from him (nights and weekends). However, I am feeling a bit nostalgic tonight. Maybe because as I type this and am at my computer I'm watching The Sound of Music on TV, and I once played Liesel ("I am sixteen going on seventeen" girl). I think a lot of it is because one of my favorite roles EVER that I've played was Catherine, a knocked up Southern belle, in "The Foreigner" by none other than LARRY SHUE!

So for tonight, I will just relive the memories. Maybe I'll watch the show's DVD. I loved that show. I loved the cast and the experience. Here's some photos from the First Street Playhouse's 2006 performance:

Anywho - I'm excited to see how my theater's performance of The Nerd turns out. More to come :)

1 comment:

Mim said...

who's the hot girl in the red dress?