Thursday, August 4, 2011

Gotta Have Heart

Another super-cute library book has crossed our path. This time, not so much for the cute verbiage/storyline, but for the extremely creative artwork on the pages.

"My Heart Is Like a Zoo" by Michael Hall.

Yes, this seems like a WEIRD title. My normal library-scan of the books is just seeing if the pages have enough or too many words and if it looks "cute" right off the bat. I didn't have time to really look too far into it this week - but I lucked out. The image on the front cover caught D's eye and mine and it proved to be a great choice.

The image on the front is a lion pop-art style graphic made up of only heart-shapes (save for the dot eyes). Upon opening the book, I happily discovered that every page was a different animal composed of only geometric hearts. It's amazing!
The book is started with "my heart is like a zoo..." and the following pages are animals with a reason that is a typical description of that animal. "Thoughtful as an owl", "angry as a bear", "eager as a beaver", "steady as a yak", etc, etc. What the author/artist did with the hearts to create the images was amazing!

There's a cute rhyming pattern that flows throughout the book, and the end is ultimately a "zookeeper" that is a little child going to bed with all his heart-shaped stuffed animals around him.

D loves the book. It's so brightly-colored and fun, and the length is perfect. He loves the animals - and I understand how some could praise this book for helping their child understand emotions. I think that's a great thought. I also LOVE the idea of using this book as inspiration for Valentines! (Ha - act surprised next February, family...unless Batman overrides that decision as well!).

It's worth a read. It's definitely going to be D's Valentine's present this February from us. We're always looking for a "love" book - but I think this one is perfect!

No comments: