Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reggie

I think about a year ago - my brother-in-law Evan adopted a Golden Retriever/Chow mix dog named Reggie. A big, beautiful dog that was so shy but loved one thing more than anything else...Evan.
Reggie would sit and literally stare into Evan's eyes, follow him around the house and sit by the door if he left. He never made a sound and was so grateful for every pat on the head. Dain and I couldn't believe how good this dog was - seeing as that he was only a year and a half old and our older Golden Retriever, Penny, was a FREAK show of energy and did not seem to show us more love than anyone else who might come through the door.
Reggie grew to be more outgoing with other people - but never stopped thinking that the sun rose and set with Evan. It broke your heart to see him at my in-laws when they were dog-sitting and Reggie waited by the door for his best friend Evan to come home. And boy, when Evan did - he would bark in delight!
Yesterday, he unexpectedly passed away at the vets when Evan rushed him in due to seizures. I don't know what happened, and I don't know if anyone does yet. All we know is that the world lost the loviest dog of all time.
I will miss Reggie - and I can't imagine what Evan and Marcy are going through and thinking. But we're all lucky to have met such a good boy...and he was so lucky to have found his best friend Evan.

5 comments:

marcy said...

this made me cry again :( but hey what isn't making me cry this week. this was really nice marie, thank you for it, and for understanding how it is. they were best friends, and he was my boyfriend - even if evan didn't like it.

Brianne said...

There was definitely something about Reg that just oozed love. My heart has just been aching for Ev, Marcy and Jpo for the past two days. I get tears in my eyes everytime I think about it. I just keep thanking goodness though that Reggie got to spend the last year of his life with people who loved him so much. There is just something about the way an adopted pet gives their undying love and gratitude to you everyday--it's unbeleivable. I'm so glad his heart was filled with that love when he left.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Marie, it's nice to know how much everyone cared for him. He had such a sad beginning to his life, but I hope that all of his friends and family made him feel safe and happy for the past year. He was a very good dog, and my best friend. It seems like he has always been around, but now that he's gone I feel like we didn't have nearly enough time together. He was also everything you said, and I just hope that in some way he knew that a lot of people really cared about him. So, thank you again and hug penny for us.

marcy said...

...and bri, that's so nice to say too. i'm so thankful that reggie found us and we found him. you're right there is something totally different about adopted pets. if we get another pet, i hope it's an adopted one. he was just so obviously thankful for us for loving him. thank you bri.

Anonymous said...

Please tell Evan and Marcy how sad we are for them. Pets are definitely part of your family and they leave an empty feeling in our hearts when they're gone. I still expect to see Sam come running up to the door when I come home. You did a beautiful job in writing a tribute to Reggie and his family. Love, Mom