Sunday, April 19, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again

No, not an actual saddle. I'm back in the the theater saddle...barely. But - I'll count it.

If you remember, I think, a long time ago I posted that my home-away-from-home community theater was closing - and we were going to be re-opening in Geneva. In fact, I think I mentioned that I designed our new logo - which I did! Well, guess what time it is?? Yep - our first show in the new space opens on May 1st! Who can believe it?

No, I'm not acting in this show. Having the D man is putting me on hiatus from going to rehearsals every night for a while. However, I've always maintained my place on the board of directors - and I am working on the programs and posters for our debut. It's so nice to be able to flex my unused theater muscle after so long, even if it is just designing a poster and program. I'm still involved and BACK! Hooray!

Here's the press release for our upcoming production:

GENEVA, IL – The Geneva Underground Playhouse will present its opening show in downtown Geneva, “The Best Man,” on Friday, May 1.
Performances will be May 1-3, 8-10 and 15 and 16. Two of the Sunday performances will be afternoon matinees. Evening shows begin at 8 p.m., and matinees at 2 p.m.
The shows will represent the first in the Geneva Underground Playhouse at 524 W. State St. here, in the same building with The Urban Grille restaurant.
The new playhouse is a result of work by the Board of Directors of the theater, which has as its parent organization, the First Street Playhouse Institute of Theater, a 501 3 (c) not-for-profit organization. It is the heir to the former First Street Playhouse in Batavia, which closed at the end of 2007.
The playhouse also opens thanks to cooperation from the city of Geneva and the Geneva Cultural Arts Commission, as well as from building owner Joe Stanton.
“We have received so much community support, which is fitting, because we intend to become a good member of the community,” said Eric Schwartz, executive director.
Joining Schwartz, of DeKalb, in the theater’s management, are Artistic Director Carol Bair-Calzaretta, of Schaumburg, and Technical Director Eric Prebys, of Batavia.
The other board members are: Steve Lord, president; Marie Boian-Meyer, vice president; Donna Latham, secretary; Lori Dowd; and Brenda Renaud.
“The Best Man” is an award-winning play in which Vidal explores universal, timeless truisms about corruption, humanity and the use of dirty tricks in politics. It was written about the early 1960s, another time when the political landscape was similar to today.
Tickets are $20, with the price of $15 for senior citizens 65 and older, and $15 for students. For ticket information, contact the theater, at 630-232-7683 or e-mail genevaplayhouse@yahoo.com.

No comments: