Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Big 6 Month Old

Saturday D turned 6 months old...and yesterday was the 6 month old doctor appointment.
Our BIG man is up to 18 lbs. 1 oz. and is 27 1/4 in.!! He's helping me build my biceps!
The doctor said developmentally he looks great - right on target. He also said he could see that teeth were inching up but nothing is breaking through yet. (That explains some of the crankiness our normally happy man has experienced). I even talked to him about feeding - and how we decided to do vegetables first and the doctor was on board. He thought it was great - and encourages us to keep it up and try new things with him.
The only thing little man needs to work on is the sleeping. A few months later - he's still up 3-4 times a night! The doctor suggested if we wanted to, to let him cry for 20 minutes or so, but I'm not on board with that at all. Some people can do it...I can't. Plus, I don't mind getting up with the little dude. Yes, I would like him to sleep longer, but I'm not willing to let him cry it out to get there. I let him grunt and whimper a bit - but if he's not settled in a few minutes I get up and feed or rock him back out. The problem most of the time is that he's rolled over and can't get himself back to his back...then the madness ensues. I did buy a book called "The No Cry Sleep Solution" and am trying to adopt some of the techniques they mention. We'll see if we get anywhere. Last night I tried something new and he was only up twice, and the 2nd time was 15 minutes before the alarm - so I count it as once. That's a success in my book! We are going to be moving him to his crib in the next week or two so I figure I will see some more success there too. If anyone has any no-cry tips let me know. I'm all ears. But, as I said, I don't mind getting up with him...he goes right back down and it's nice to feel needed :)

I can't believe it's been half a year! Everyone always told me time flies with a baby and they were right. It doesn't seem possible that we're here already.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

I own that book and it didn't work for me -- I hope you have better luck -- could've saved you $10.00

Marie Boian-Meyer said...

Well crap. Oh well - I've had a few nights of him only getting up once so I'm going to chalk it up to the book's suggestions.

Mim said...

What's that book suggest? I obviously have no advice to offer. I have a 3 1/2 year old that is still up minimum once a night demanding chocolate milk. Apparently, neither one of us is capable of taking the "let them cry it out" advice. Ah, well. :)

Marie Boian-Meyer said...

Hey - if we can survive it and the kids are still happy - who cares? :)