Monday, April 13, 2009

The Great Food Debate

The D man is obsessed with food. Yep - loves it. Watching US eat that is. He can't get enough. He stares longingly at the food - watches us take every bite - and even tries to grab at crackers and our drinks! This is a tell-tale sign that he's ready to move on to some food of his own.

I guess I never really thought about food for him. Just figured I'd just feed him when it was time. But - there's a thought process that goes along with it. How will he do? Is it really time? What should we try first? How often are we going to have to have "solids" a day? Will this mess up my breastfeeding efforts?

After listening to my mom and sisters talk about how they started with cereal, and having known many people that did - I always thought that would be the route I'd go. However - I've read about starting with fruits or vegetables first. They're supposedly easier to digest than grains on a tummy that's only had breastmilk - and my babysitter even said she started her kids on vegetables and since then they've always liked vegetables. Instead of say, fruit first - then the vegetables aren't as sweet, thus not as appealing.

I talked to my best fried/sister-in-law/soon to be Registered Dietician, Stephanie, and she said there's really no right or wrong answer. She DID study at a more holistic school who also suggested vegetables & fruits first - but people have done different things for centuries - and all babies turn out fine somehow :)

The one thing I know for sure is that I want to make my own baby food when I can, and buy organic jarred food...as well as organic cereals for him. Dr. Sears, who wrote The Baby Book (and The Attachment Parenting Book - which you've seen that I have) even helped develop the cereal brand that I decided on, and even found at my local Jewel and BOUGHT along with organic jarred Peas and Pears by Earth's Best - wo make the GREAT chlorine-free disposable diapers I use sometimes. I figured it's best to be prepared for that first meal...whenever we decide to start it...

I know it's probably best to consult with my pediatrician before doing all this. However, at D's FOUR month appointment he had said we could really dilute some cereal and give to him if we wanted - just mostly for practice. There's not really a nutritional need for it that young. Anywho - his 6 month appointment is a week from tomorrow - so I am guessing we'll just wait until then to confirm everything with Dr. Link.

He looks like he's fine on food for now eh?

5 comments:

Stephanie Wells said...

Hey! So I just wanted to clarify since I think maybe you misunderstood what I was saying when we chatted about this.... Being that this is my profession, I need to make sure the right info is out there with my name :)

I suggest to moms starting solids no earlier than 6 months of developmental age, and start with vegetables then fruits (no citrus until 1 yr). Just a few tablespoons is all they need at a time, and only one new food a week. Grains, beans, and meats can be introduced at 9-10 months, with grains like wheat after 1 year if there is family history of allergy. At 1 year, they can eat at the table what the rest of the family is eating, with the exception of peanut butter, shellfish and other potentially anaphylactic reaction- producing foods (try those after 2 years)-- and of course choking hazards (i.e. grapes). I recommend whole, homemade foods always.

Yes, cultures around the world introduce their own foods to their babies, but I don't think that regardless of what you give a baby, all will turn out fine. A major reason why there are a lot of child food allergy problems is early or inappropriate introduction of solids.

Sorry-- I always try to meet moms where they are at and I know you were just asking for advice. But I need to make sure the right info is out there from me. It's a legality, credential thing- I don't want to lose my credentials before I get them :)

Love you and good luck!

Anonymous said...

I think you should give him rice cereal and watch the mess transpire.

And where is the survey? I'm ready to register my opinion!

Helen Bernstein said...

Hi Marie,
Delighted to see HAPPYBELLIES, recommended by Dr. Sears, in your post. I think your big guy is ready for our fresh frozen HAPPYBABY fruits, veggies, grains and meats. We make it like I did at home: gently steamed, cooled and frozen in "ice cube" like trays (no BPA). No waste, no heating in plastic.

You and other parents can also get a free Nutrition Guide co-authored by Dr. Sears at www.happybabyfood.com

I would be glad to send you coupons so you can do a product review of HAPPYBABY and HAPPYBABYPUFFS.

All the best, Helen
helen@happyfamilybrands.com

Marie Boian-Meyer said...

Stephanie - - of course I didn't misunderstand you...I just "abridge" my blog posts since I generally only have a few minutes of blogging time. I totally appreciate all you said about starting vegetables & fruits first, then grains later. Basically I was saying that we (I think, my memory is going due to sleep deprivation) discussed that conventional doctors usually recommend cereal first - and that he'll most likely turn out fine :) no matter if I go the cereal route first or the vegetable route first once he's 6 months. I of course, wasn't thinking just anything would be fine to feed him now, nor did I mean to imply that's what you said. I don't want you to be in trouble as a result of my quickly typed and non "serious" blog. Everything you suggested is right on target with what I read about - hooray! Plus I want the more holistic approach with him anyways!

Theresa - thanks for the thoughts...can't post the beer poll yet.

Helen - thanks for visiting!! I'm so glad to "see" a new visitor and especially someone else who is with HappyBaby - which I'm so excited about!! I will be contacting you soon!

dsm ii said...

you selling ad space in here or what