Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Biggest Inspiration

Unbelievable. Do you watch The Biggest Loser on NBC? (I won't tell you what Dain's nickname is for the show...)

This show always inspires me - to see these individuals change their physique and their attitudes and their LIVES season after season is just amazing. It's must-see TV for me (or more like must-DVR TV since I no longer watch anything live). There are always such amazing people with extraordinary stories or situations, and they completely make over their bodies and souls.

This season on NBC is no exception. However, it has one person that took inspiring and unbelievable to a whole new level - Abby.

Abby is a teacher in her mid-30's who 2 1/2 years ago lost her husband, 5 year old daughter and 1 month old son to a car accident. In one fell swoop, everything was gone. Watching her featured parts of the show was an exercise for me...an exercise of emotions. They did an extended story on it a few times this season, and bawling was an understatement.

I'm including two videos below. The first is her "introduction" video that aired on the web before the show began. It briefly tells her story, just gives a glimpse - if you're at all emotional, don't watch or grab a tissue.


This next video is the "where are they now" video - as she was voted off the show on this past Monday's episode. Just watch a few minutes. It shows how she looks now and what she's doing...


WHAT? This woman is not only getting out of bed everyday - but she is getting out of bed and being a positive person and putting positivity out into the world. She's touring the US from what I've heard, and speaking to schools about second chances at life. Her story is literally my worst nightmare - MOST people's worst nightmare. When she got voted off, she thanked them so much for bringing the light back into her eyes. She said she felt like herself again, or at least was starting to. A huge group met her when she arrived back to her hometown and her parents & family thanked the show for bringing her back. She was so positive - and as you can see in the "where is she now" video - she's an inspirational speaker now. That's just plain amazing.

She makes me realize how lucky I am. Working full time, having a one year old that wakes up in the night, tight finances, not being able to sell our house and all my other "problems" are really put into perspective. This woman would probably give all her limbs to get up in the night with her little ones. She'd probably live in a cardboard box on the street to have her husband back. She would most likely take a 100 hour a week job just to have her family back. I can endure my problems - I'm lucky to have only my problems. I will forever be motivated and inspired by this woman from reality TV. I'm guessing you will be too.

2 comments:

Mim said...

If Dain's nickname for the show is anything like what Phil's nickname for the show was, it's "The Biggest Fatso." That's PC.

Marie Boian-Meyer said...

Try "Fat Losers". And it's bad when I accidentally refer to it as that in public...