Thursday, August 28, 2008

Childbirth & Bloodstone

So I've decided I need to get prepared for this whole childbirth thing...

We're signing up this week for Childbirth Education at Delnor (the hospital I will deliver Boogie at). Yep, 4 weeks of fun...learning about breathing, pain relief, pushing out a kid, etc. etc. Plus we'll get a tour of the facility. It will be nice to be a little more prepared that way.

Let me just say that I've always been SUPER afraid of childbirth. Something about the size of the kid, and where it comes out just does NOT seem right. Add that to the horror stories that people tell of pooping on the delivery table, and screaming obscenities - and you get a nervous Marie. I thought that when I ever got pregnant, everything would seem normal, and I'd be less nervous and more "in tune" with the idea. NOPE. I'm still scared out of my mind. But, I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

You'll have to wait a few weeks to hear how childbirth class progresses (it doesn't start until mid-September). Until then, I'm looking at alternative ways to prepare myself.
I'm considering prenatal yoga classes...I think that would be very good for me, and good for Boogie as well.
I also have read about the healing stones (yes I'm a new ager that believes in that) and I think I need to get a Bloodstone item (necklace, bracelet, something to wear at birth). Here's the metaphysical description:
"Bloodstone is in the Chalcedony family of stones and is also known as heliotrope. It is a stone of courage. Bloodstone helps one focus on the energy of one's heart. It helps in overcoming stress and anxiety. It revitalizes love, friendships and relationships. Use it to facilitate admittance into the realms of the ancestors and allow it to help open communication with those who have walked on the path before us! Bloodstone has been said to assist in the labor and delivery of newborn babies. "

I'll let you know what I end up with...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is ridiculous. A bloodstone? Really? Think about it this way, inigo. I have absolutely no threshold for pain. If I can have a child, anyone can do it.

The Masked Marvel said...

The Masked Marvel agrees. You can do it -- and afterwards you get a Very cute little Boog.

Marie Boian-Meyer said...

PS - Dain told me after reading this that he'd get me a rock from the backyard.

laura said...

just try to relax. i know that's easier said than done, but as much as you can, you just gotta let go of all your worries. everything works itself out. and if anyone is telling you horror stories, punch them in the face. xoxo lh.