Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Registered

So - you may or may have not noticed the addition of links to our registries at the top of the column on your right. I'm still adding things occasionally - but we're pretty much done.

People have asked me why we have an "internet" registry (and Dain thinks it's tacky that the site is called TheThingsIWant.com - but I don't name these things!). Anyways - we have the internet registry because there are several things that are not available in Babies R Us that are very important to me for my child.

1. CLOTH DIAPERS. Yes - I'm using cloth diapers. I've always planned to. Get over it. The diapers I have on the internet registry (as of today 8/19/08) are not complete - but I will be adding more soon. Basically I have the diapers on the list that Boogie will need right out of the gate - which are "pre-folds", like the cloth diapers of the past. These fit infants the best, and will work as an inexpensive option until he will fit into the One Size cloth diapers that will take him through to potty training. The money per diaper for these One Sizer's seems like a lot - but I will actually be saving TONS and TONS of money in the long run. Imagine not having to pay for diapers after the first few months of building a stash! Awesome!

2. NATURAL PACIFIERS. I wanted to get the natural - all-rubber pacifiers that aren't made with plastics and various other toxins. These are great...and cute!

3. NATURAL TOYS. I have some on the registry - things made from wood with non-toxic paints, natural teethers, etc. These are cute, retro-ish, and very safe for babies. I could've added so much - but they aren't cheap - and toys aren't the most important thing we'll need!

4. SAFE BABY BOTTLES - made from PES plastic. They are free of phthalates and free of bisphenol A...all better for the baby.

There are some other things included. But these are some very important items for me, and Boogie.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness. I can't believe that my child has lived to be almost 3 years old after all the various toxins and "non-organic" toys, pacifiers and diapers he has been exposed to! I love you, but I am boycotting myself from purchasing any cloth diapers, accessories for cloth diapers, or any bottle that costs $5 because it is made from "toxin-free plastic." Joey is a wonderful, healthy boy and he drank out of bottles that were 4 for $1 at Wal-Mart. You do the math.

dsm ii said...

"free of phthalates and free of bisphenol A"

You totally made those words up.

Stephanie Wells said...

No, I taught them to her :) I know you hate me and all the cancer and ADHD and autism I'm trying to prevent in your future (only cancer is linked to plastic p.s.).

(I know I didn't really teach them to you Marie, I'm sure you discovered them in your own research). Loves!

marcy said...

yeah - speaking of autism....find a doc to separate those MMR SHOTS!!!!!! i know it hasn't been proven, but the stories are enough proof for me. that's all i know about babies, though. :(

Marie Boian-Meyer said...

I got the words off their website - however I did discover them in research, then was super excited when Stephanie was in town last and brought the bottle issue up...and explained why it really is important.

And I'm not saying you can't have a healthy child without it NATALIE - I'm saying it's a personal choice I'm making because it's what I'm doing. I do the cloth diapers for the waste reduction (and you can't argue with those stats) and the bottles and natural toys because they make sense to me, and actually ALL bottles are being switched to BPA free very soon, I heard the women at Babies R Us telling some woman about it.

Brianne said...

I think one of the most important aspects of this (along with helping the environment and Boogie's health) is that you will be sharing your own values with your son. One of the things I appreciate so much about my dad is that from a very young age he exposed me to all the things that were very important to him. Some of those values, I took as my own and others I didn't. Looking back, I see what was key was to have the opportunity to see my dad as someone who had passions and values and convictions. That was a gift in iteself :)

Anonymous said...

just buy some biodegradeable diapers and call it a day. isn't that just easier for everyone?

Marie Boian-Meyer said...

No.

Anonymous said...

Did you pick a date for a baby shower? Or are you waiting until after he's born? Let me know so I can try to get it off work. I'll buy you whatever your little heart desires, Rie.