Monday, March 2, 2009

Frustrated.

I'm frustrated.

D is sick...again! He's got another cold. The last one lasted a month...and now this has been around for several days.

We even went to the doctor on Saturday - and shock of all shocks...my UBER laid back pediatrician told me it was just a cold and to keep up with the humidifier and the saline drops and just watching him for any signs of worsening...
Then came last night...after a long day of car rides - he was tired early last night. He hadn't eaten much at all yesterday - but we all figured it was because of the drainage from the cold. Then he got up at about 2:00 to eat, but he barely ate. I laid him back down and he was up again at 3:00 and not hungry but fussing and coughing which was choking him. I rocked him for 2 hours - he slept on and off and so did I. At 5:30 we laid down in bed and he slept maybe 15 minutes til I knew he felt warm. Took his temp (under the armpit) at it was 100.5. I called the doctor, and he thought I should bring D back in since it may have settled in his lungs now...but I'd have to see the other doctor.
After Infant Tylenol and struggling to get him to drink most of a bottle, we headed out. Of course when we got there D was smiling and laughing and talking to the doctor, and barely even sniffed while we were there. The doctor said there's a little bit of something all over in his lungs but not even to worry about - and if it were pneumonia or something - it would be localized. So, GUESS WHAT? "Keep doing what you're doing" was uttered by the other UBER laid back doctor.

I'm so frustrated. They didn't tell me what to watch for, suggestions or anything. Our doctor had said he could have a little Benadryl to dry things up if he needed, but we haven't done that. I just wanted to know what was a warning sign or what I should do or not do. Or why he's so tired and not eating. I guess it's all common sense...but sometimes it would just be nice for them to placate this paranoid new mommy!

On top of everything else - he graduated out of the bassinet last night into the pack and play - which is wedged between my bed and the wall - but it doesn't allow me to get to D easily, nor did it allow me to get in and out of bed easily. I guess its only for a little more time...but I'm considering buying a smaller pack & play/co-sleeper since this one is on loan from my sister...

AND he won't eat...poor thing. But, it's making my milk supply all messed up because of his lack of eating...AHHHHHHHHHH

1 comment:

Sara T said...

I feel for you. I went through the same thing with both of my boys and then I switched doctors. I couldn't handle that kind of "laid back" attitude anymore. Gavin got strep throat last Thursday and then Griffin throw up all over with a high temp on Saturday. I have talked with my Dr. over the phone several times and she has walked me through it all, if I forget to ask something I just call her right back. I'm really glad I switched doctors. If I were you I would call back for the warning signs or anything else that you are wondering, I don't think it is a common sense kinda of thing. I do know there isn't much you can do for little ones when they are so tiny. We have ear infections all of the time too, when Griffy's temp goes up to the 102.0 and above range it is always not so much fun. I will be praying he gets better. Don't be afraid to call the doctor or nurses back they should be there for you. You shouldn't feel this frustrated with their answers. Just my thoughts though.