Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ahhh Nostalgia

Little man actually plays with toys. Yep - he's to the glorious age of singing, playing, eating and laughing. 7 months is a great time! It's so crazy to watch his little facial expressions and almost hear his mind working as he stares at toys as he turns them over in his hands - or as he pounds on the sound buttons of his exersaucer. He grabs at pages of books, shakes rattles and pulls hair. I love everything except the hair pulling - and even that I'm beginning to love because I know it's a phase that will be gone soon enough.

I was starting to look for a few little things for him that I knew were CLASSICS that I had - and that I'd seen with many other families back in the day.

One of these is a shape sorter. Something to jam shaped blocks into the right shaped holes. The one I remember was great - but I figured they were long gone. WRONG! They still make them. Mine was red and blue - but I found a fun green and yellow one! Look! This is a purchase I HAVE to make.

Another - a telephone. Don't all little ones need a fake phone? I guess more realistic for kids now would be cell phones. (This theory in practice - my niece at about age 1 knew how to hold her fake cell phone hands-free between her shoulder and ear just from watching my sister and brother-in-law). I wanted a phone like the one I remember - you could pull it along the floor and the phone had eyes in the front that moved up and down. Yeah - they still make that too!! Okay it's a rotary phone and kids now don't even know what those are - but who cares - it's adorable!

There are so many others that I was thrilled to find are still being made new or are available through the glory of ebay. I love nostalgia!

2 comments:

marcy said...

sadly/weirdly i use that red and blue block sorter you're talking about with my students! some of them are really smart they've figured out how to open the one side and put all the shapes in that way! hahah

Mim said...

they sell a lot of these "nostalgic" toys at Target. They even had a little tv like that one we used to have when we were growing up the last time I was there. Joey is too big for it now, but I bet D would love it.