Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Jon & Kate Plus Hate

Is anyone else tired of the freaking circus around Jon & Kate Plus 8?

Okay - I didn't start out watching the show in the beginning, but after so many people told me how cute it was, I started catching it when I could. It was cute. The kids are cute as little Asian buttons. It was interesting, even more now as a mom, to see a set of parents with 6 kids of the same age at once. The show, after the first two hour specials, was just about a mom and dad and how they made it through the day to day life with a BUNCH of kids in a regular house with regular jobs and regular expectations.
Starting early in last year's season - and even before that - it became about this reality show family who had 8 kids and went on tons of paid-for vacations to fabulous places and chances for attractions to get their location featured. Then it got WORSE and became about a famous family who got to move into a million plus dollar home and have their house renovated to be more green, and the mom's book tour and more vacation-hopping. It just wasn't innocent anymore.
FINE I still watched - but I wasn't as into it. And the imbalanced couple got more and more tension between them, and their relationship with each other and even their kids seemed more and more forced.

Now there's all this about how Jon cheated, and how Kate maybe cheated and why and where and when and how. People say that she drove him to it, he says he's just friends with these other women, she has come to appear as a monster woman who can't keep a nanny, let alone her family even talking to her.

I'm not going to get on a soapbox to share my personal feelings here. I will say I think it's all a bit ridiculous at this point. I feel bad for the kids, 9 year old twins and 5 year old sextuplets know what's going on. But I can't help but think this could all be one big ploy for media attention...which would have worked. They're on every magazine and tabloid and entertainment website and probably had the highest rated show last night with their season opener where they "faced each other for the first time". PLEASE! She's a bag and he's an idiot - and they have 8 kids stuck in the middle now.

I Googled Kate Gosselin and came across a blog...Gosselin's Without Pity. It's a message-board style blog where anyone can post opinions, etc and then the comment-train starts. I came across this because apparently Kate's sister-in-law posted a blog revealing all of Kate's secret evils. It was an interesting post, and it's interesting to see other people's posts and comments - but it's not well laid out or organized. Worth a look sometime if you have any interest in the show whatsoever...

Sadly - even though I'm sick of what has become of this show, I will probably still tune in when I can. It's like seeing a bad car accident that you just can't look away from. This too is bound for a crash.

3 comments:

Brianne said...

Yea, I love the show, but lately it definitely lost it's purpose. The other night was near impossible to watch--especially when Alexis asked Jon not to go away anymore. That part really made me think that all the tension wasn't faked, cause you can't get a 5-year old to act that well. I think everyone involved had good intentions when the show started but unfortunately it was ridiculously successful and spiraled out of control. She's definitely the most obnoxious woman I've ever seen on tv and I've always thought Jon was crazy for marrying her and putting up with her shit. But he did make that choice and he has to live with it. I don't think that just because she's a controlling you-know-what she, or any of them, deserve the pain that a torn family causes. I feel so darn bad for those kids. Hopefully the parents find a way out of this mess (even if that means divorce) and get the heck out of the spotlight so those kids can have somewhat of a normal life in the future.

Unknown said...

This would never have happened if they would have just made a show about Barrett's family instead.

Stephanie Wells said...

Ha! Bev you are by far the most hilarious person I know!

Kate reminds me of me and Jon reminds me of Dan. Ruh roh.