Friday, May 15, 2009

Shut it

The first question everyone asks you when you have a baby is "Is he sleeping?". My answer is always "no, he's still up about 3 times a night but it's fine".

Here's what most people follow with "Oh you've got to let him cry it out" or "I can't believe you allow that". Even my doctor who asked at his 6 month appointment said we could let him holler for 20 minutes - and when I said I couldn't do that he said something to the effect of that being my problem. My babysitter's husband told me to get some earplugs. Some co-workers think I'm not teaching him how to sleep or something. People are SO opinionated about this.

REALLY? Am I asking you to get up with him? Did I tell you that you shouldn't have let your kid cry it out? NO. This is my decision. I cannot and will not let D cry it out. He goes right back down, and most of the time he's legitimately eating when he gets up...or has just practicing his new skill of creeping in his sleep and wants to alert someone that it woke him up. He's the happiest kid in the rest of the time, so if he is upset in his bed...that means he needs something and damn it I'm going to provide it. I have read up on all the parenting decisions we've made - and made the decisions for a reason. They are not for everyone - but they are for my kid.

Okay - claws retracted. I'm just saying - this is my current pet peeve. Apparently mom's get pet peeves.

PS - all of you who have comments about how I have him still in the bedroom with us will be thrilled to hear that he's going to try sleeping in his crib this weekend...but let's be serious...I'll probably be on the floor next to him for the first few nights. Let the comments begin...

No comments: