Monday, August 10, 2009

Eczema

D has a bit of eczema. He's had a very slight case of eczema on the top of his back for some time, but we just kept it moisturized. However - it's starting to get a little worse - spreading to the whole of his back. It's not severe by any means - just affecting more of him. If you see typical pictures of eczema - D is nowhere near that...just slight rash-appearance.

Our pediatrician was real laid back about it when he saw it at D's 9 month appointment (several weeks ago)...just saying that it happens and it didn't look bad and to just use a lot of moisturizer on him as he didn't encourage treating it with anything besides regular moisturizer unless absolutely necessary. I like that. I am not a fan of medicating my kid unless absolutely necessary - even if it's just a cream. Our doctor did mention, and I verified in my research, that it can foreshadow allergy problems when he's older.

So eczema affects 15-20% of all children.

Triggers for eczema are:
- Head and Humidity
- Household Dust
- Pet Dander
- Irritating Clothes Detergent
- Cigarette Smoke
- Body Soap
- Wool/Foregin Fabrics
- Food Reactions

We haven't changed anything with his soaps or detergents so we should be fine there. Heat and humidity are out of control in Illinois right now - so that could be HUGE. Also pet dander is a big thing in my house. Our trip away this weekend will tell me if that's an irritant. I haven't noticed any particular food HE'S consuming causing any problems - and have not changed my diet. Kids can develop reactions to food at any age - but apparently it's only 10% likely that a food allergen is the main trigger.

We're trying a few things:
1. All 100% cotton clothing
2. Moisturizer several times a day
3. Shorter tubs with soap applied lightly and briefly
4. Limited time in heat/humidity (extreme)
5. Frequent cleaning/sweeping of the carpet and limited exposure to downstairs
carpet (where Penny is).
6. I am decreasing my dairy intake

We'll see how it goes. If the above doesn't do anything - we may move in to full removal of dairy, eggs or wheat from my diet - - or try a VERY mild cortisone cream. But, I'm waiting to see the results of the above.

No comments: