Sunday, August 30, 2009

Obsessed Much?

I've got a new obsession...a restaurant in Geneva.


Picture borrowed from Geneva Daily Photo as they don't have a website :(

"Nosh" in downtown Geneva, tucked back on James Street a block South of the main drag, and a block East of the famous 3rd Street, has become my new favorite place on Earth.

Dain and I went there last Saturday as our first "date" out since D. (No judgments here that it's been so long or that it was lunch - we both are away from him 11 hours a day). This little gem is open only until 2:00 pm daily and serves FANTASTIC breakfast or lunch at all hours.
Everything at Nosh is made from scratch - not with mixes and who knows what. It's a cute little place with a cute patio area for outdoor dining. The inside has a diner-style counter you can eat at, or "traditional" seating. It's a very simple, clean feel, with painted cement floors, wooden furniture and exposed beam ceilings.

The food, in a word, is fantasticamazingdeliciousspectacular. It's VERY vegetarian and/or vegan friendly - yet still managed to impress my very NON vegetarian husband. I had a breakfast burrito (featuring avocado cream cheese!!) one day with the glazed fresh pear slices, and today with my friend Katie, had a mushroom and goat cheese omelet with their signature potatoes.
The service is great. They make suggestions (without being too pushy), they bring you a little personal pitcher of your beverage of choice so that your refill is right there waiting for you, and can answer all questions about the food. They're also VERY friendly. Today the poor waitress came over, shaking with nerves, as she had forgotten to put in our order and left Katie, D and I sitting at the table for even longer. We assured her it was okay (as we were enjoying an "appetizer"), and she thanked us PROFUSELY, then brought over toys for D to play with, to have something "fresh". And these things were GREAT! Magnetic plastic triangles & squares that were just as much fun for my friend and I as they were for him. She told me that she got them on QVC in a huge set - and sure enough I found them on QVC's site - called Magformers. These are being added to my list of stuff to buy for D for his birthday or Christmas (even though they say 6 & up - which is ridiculous).

The story of the name for Nosh is found on the back of the menu. It was named after an episode of Seinfeld, when George apparently asks for something to "nosh" while watching a game/TV/etc.

Anyway...GO THERE. Or if you're from out of town, come visit me and I'll take you!
Actually - even if you live around me...call me and I'll go with :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually I saw them once when I "happened" to be watching QVC. They looked like fun, but I thought my daughters would make fun of me if I ordered something from that "shopping venue".