Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Should Have Been T

Apparently "D" wishes his name was "T".

Kids attach themselves to stuff, I know this. However, for most kids it's a stuffed animal or blanket. But for my little bookworm...it's a letter.

Yep - we bought D some of the bathtub foam letters & numbers. (This is not a photo of D, it's the kid from the company's website). He loves them, and has a great time peeling them off the sides of the tub and seeing them float around him in the tub. He loves the T so much - he won't let go.

Yeah for some reason one night he took the T out of the tub with him to do pj's and bed. He let go for the night - but the next morning saw it and needed it. He puts the little red T in his left hand and just holds it there - doing everything else one-handed or with a fist. He'll sometimes switch it back and forth to the other hand, sometimes give it a chew or sometimes even hammer something with it. We take it with us in the car, he naps with it, and it sometimes even joins him for meals. I guess at the babysitter's house he doesn't really keep it with him because he's distracted by the kids - and he DOES forget about it when distracted or out and about.

Case in point: we went to Best Buy on Friday night - and D was carrying his T when we walked in. After about the 10th section of the store - we realize it's not in his hand anymore - and after I comb the store, we realize it's gone. We went next door to Target and bought another $5 set of letters to pull out the T (so I'll donate to someone's kid - let me know if you want a brand new set with no T).

My mom asked if he'd take another letter, like the I or the L. The answer = no. They are not red - and apparently don't fit in his hand like the good ole T. There was no way I couldn't replace it - as that night in the tub he would be searching through the 25 other letters and 10 numbers for that one, and we would have a problem. So unless I wanted to make all the letters disappear...we had no choice.

This wasn't a big deal - but today he dropped it in a store again (luckily we found it) and I fear I may need back-up. So, I'll probably have letter sets donated to both grandparents, all cousins and all friend's houses before we're done...I just hope none of their kids mind the missing red T. :)

3 comments:

Mim said...

Ahhhh, the joy when your child attaches himself to something. I will never forget the day that I picked Joey up at daycare and realized (to my horror) that they had sent Linus home with another child. I took Joey to Target to purchase a "replacement" Linus, but he was not fooled. 3 nights of screaming for Linus ensued, and finally the mother of the child who had been sent home with Linus returned him to the daycare. There was never a happier day in Joey's life. And let's not forget the time that we slept at Mom and Dad's hotel room and left Linus in the bed. And checked out. When the security guard came down with Linus, a good cry was had by all. I'll send you an exta set of letters. Otherwise you'll end up like me at Target at 10:00 pm trying to "fool" your child. KISSES.

Marie Boian-Meyer said...

Luckily he's not THAT attached yet - but you never know what will happen! Don't worry about sending any - I may be sending Joey the alphabet minus the T though! Good thing there's no T anywhere in his name!

Mim said...

We'll take the extra set. We don't have one anymore. Hooray!