Monday, November 23, 2009

Library

Does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with their library?

I seriously love the library - we've already gone over my odd love of books themselves, and my love of being surrounded by them. This seems to have passed on to my son - who LOVES books and would rather sit and flip through pages of books than play with any toy or stuffed animal. You also may or may not know that because I've become me-time-deprived and spend sooo much time in the car, that I have been listening to books on CD basically since I went back to work from maternity leave almost a year ago. I feel out of the loop sometimes, as I never listen to the radio anymore...but I love my books!

I've gone through the full gamut of genres and topics since that time, and discovered authors that I love, and some that I thought I might enjoy that I don't. I have discovered that I really (oddly enough) PREFER British accents by the narrators, am interested in a lot of non-fiction, am still obsessed with anything Jodi Picoult puts out in the universe, and sadly was interested through every disc of Tori Spelling's Mommywood. Right now I'm reading/listening to The Jane Austen Book Club, and I really like it. I heard through a co-worker that this was made into a movie - which she showed me at the grocery store - and I must reiterate how LOOSELY some books are interpreted for movies, just by glancing at the cover. However, that's not what this is supposed to be about.

About SIX MONTHS ago I put in a hold request for multiple books on CD that I want to "read", and...NADA from my library. Seriously, they have not said boo about any of the books - and I was never contacted.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love the library and my ability to read so many books that I would not be able to afford to purchase for myself (nor would I ever want to in a few of the cases). However - let's be serious. Don't give me the option to request a book from another location or give me the ability to put a book on hold if it's not freaking going to happen. That audio copy of The Red Tent can't be THAT busy, can it?

Good thing for the board book section of my library that D cannot get enough of...or we'd have a bone to pick :)

No comments: