Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Baby Room Planning

No - I haven't got the Florida info to post yet. I will do that tonight...

Now it's time to talk BABY ROOM.

I posted cribs a ways back, and got many opinions. I even wanted to paint a crib to make it my own and more colorful. Well, after looking into it - it's not really a good idea to paint cribs. Kids chew on them, and they flake, and blah blah blah. So, Dain and I decided to just get a new one. (See the "Scenes From A Babies R Us" blog). We're still deciding on a style. MUCHO compromise going on now. We're also still deciding on whether or not we're going to accommodate the old dresser or not. But, that's an argument we'll save for actually ordering the crib.

The "Alice" theme for my baby's room was shot down as I mentioned, so I was on the search for something else.
Once again, I am not satisfied with the selection of packaged baby bedding. I don't know - it's just not my style. Nothing really fit or looked like anything I really was interested in.
So, I headed to etsy.com to look at the handmade bedding. After searching through "baby afghans", "baby bedding" and "baby quilts" - I found a quilt I LOVED! It was juts a random assortment of retro/vinatge fabrics as strip pieces. PERFECT! Except....
It was only 24 x 32 - and that's too small for a crib blanket! SO, I e-mailed the quilt-maker and she agreed to make me a bigger one based on the smaller one, using some of the same and similar fabrics...she even let me pick a few I liked!

I've been getting progress photos from her...she is fantastic....this was all done within a week....she's willing to change any fabrics out if I'm not happy and we're collaborating on the backing materials!
Here's the latest progress photo:

It's not finished yet - but close. It may not fit your fancy, and you may think it's not baby enough - but I love it, and Dain even likes it. The random retro prints and colors are a perfect match to my style. Now we can do whatever we want on the walls, and we can have my mom make a bumper and skirt to match in whatever color we want. Plus this opens the doors to SO many paint colors!

And - here's a set from JC Penney - I don't like the crib one bit - but I LOVE the "organizer/hutch" piece, and the changer/dresser isn't bad either - plus it's all VERY affordable AND on sale. (Of course if we went this direction it means DAIN WINS and we remove the old dresser - so that's a negative). I'm still thinking about it...I really don't like the crib.

2 comments:

Stephanie Wells said...

I L-O-V-E the blanket! Of course- it's amazing! That will look good with more subdued furniture like you have pictured. Do you know what I mean? Maybe getting that furniture will be better even though it's not your first choice because then you can really make the rest of the room whatever you want (i.e. paint, decor, colors, etc) and the furniture won't take away from that or get in the way of that. p.s. we can resume our daily chats if you're available at like 5:45-ish?

marcy said...

hi! what about the other crib by the same maker in the same color?? they don't have to match perf. right? i really like the furniture. i love the quilt too! it's very you-ish but i think a lil baby will be darling with that (plus she prob won't notice/care) thank you for my comment! so should we hang fri since you have your thing sat?