Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Florida

So I'm FINALLY getting to my Florida trip! Almost 2 weeks ago, my mom and I headed off to the panhandle of FL for my friend Sarah's wedding. (For those of you who remember my wedding, she was the MOH).
It was going to be exciting from the get-go. My mom and I are probably two of the world's worst flyers...and we were going on a regional jet (the only plane that went direct from Chicago to Fort Walton Beach). This little guy held about 45 people - one seat on one side and two on the other. It was small - and I couldn't get drunk OR be medicated before boarding! Luckily, my mom held it together - and I did well. We jumped on that Friday morning and arrived in HOT HUMID Florida that afternoon.
My mom and I wanted to stay someplace homey and quaint (two things that do not sit well with my husband or dad) so we booked a stay at a little B&B - Sugarbeach Inn. Super cute place with a super nice owner.
Once we got our things in the room, we headed out to the rehearsal dinner. Here's a photo of us with the SUPER TAN bride! (I had just chopped off 6 1/2 inches of my hair - and pay no attention to how yucko I look after a day of plane-ing). The views that night from the rehearsal dinner location were amazing!
The next day we got up early and had the wonderful breakfast at the B&B. The cook was so nice, and she was even referring to Eve by the 2nd day (although this is when we thought he was a she!). Afterwards we walked down the path to the gorgeous beach. SUPER white sand and clear water. It was a bit rainy and stormy so we couldn't stay long.
Then we had some free time. It was nice. We visited Sarah's family's rented beach house to see the girl's getting ready and had a bit of lunch. Then we headed out to some of the cute local shops. What a fun area up there. Everything is local, and boutiquey.
That evening we headed out to the State park where the wedding was held. It was POURING rain - so the outdoor wedding idea was scratched and it was moved into this adorable pavillion. It ended up beautiful, as it was screened in, and the trees were in the background.
It cleared up in time for them to get photos outside. Here's me and the ultra-gorgeous bride! I was obsessed with a tree on the grounds of this park - it looked like 6 trunks grew together.
They had a beautiful tent outside the pavillion with the dance floor and lights. It was so much fun. I had a bunch of pictures - but my favorite is the dark one that turned out fuzzy!
The next morning we got up - finished a few shopping errands that we wanted to do, went to a picnic lunch in the park with the wedding people - and headed out!

All in all - a great trip - my mom and I both had a great time. It was hot and humid as ALL get out...but we loved getting away...and I was so glad I could be there for Sarah's big day.

2 comments:

laura said...

did you happen to visit seaside? the town with all the colorful houses? i started vacationing there when i was 12 with my family, and now frank & i carry on the tradition twice a year. to make it twice this year, though, means taking audrey with us! oh, we can't wait! xoxo lh.

Marie Boian-Meyer said...

We were right next to Seaside - and visited there both days! I even got Dain a t-shirt from the Seaside store!!