Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summertime...

If you know me at all - you know that I'm not really a hot weather kind of gal. I love snow...I love big heavy sweaters...I LOVE winter hats (my collection is near 20 now!). So, needless to say, I'm not always thrilled to have the summer arrive. Of course, when I was young I loved the fact that I didn't have school, loved the County Fair (yes I'm from a 4-H background...get over it), and loved being involved in everything that summer brought with it. However, in my older years - I've learned to appreciate summer for the adult highlights - having a beer/margarita at BBQ's or on restaurant outdoor patios, being on stage in various productions at my theater, hosting a seriously awesome 3rd of July party every year in my backyard, etc.

I have to admit this year I've been a bit of a Debbie Downer. Little Boogie is not allowing me to partake in the things that made summer tolerable for me. I get wiped out in the heat fairly easily, I can't go for drinks without being a little sad that I can't have one with everyone else, and we passed the torch on our 3rd of July party to Evan and his roommates. Add that to the fact that my theater (though re-opening VERY soon in Geneva) was closed this summer, even though my sleeping habits would not have lent themselves to a rehearsal schedule anyways! (I get did to act at our murder mystery fundraiser dinners last weekend, so that scratched a bit of my itch!).

I realized my poor attitude on the matter when talking about "enjoying my summer" with my outdoor sales rep on the phone a bit ago. He was talking about street fests, Lollapolooza and tons of beers - and I simply just said "I'm pregnant". That's not a good attitude at all! I realized that summers, especially this summer - have brought some amazing things...and I love them all:
-Getting Dairy Queen treats on a bi-weekly basis (lay off I'm pregnant)
-Taking walks outside with a moderately behaved Penny
-A visit from my sister and too-cute nephew
-Heading to Florida with my mom for Sarah's wedding
-Getting not one, but two visits from my BFF sister-in-law Stephanie
-Sharing excitement with my future sister-in-law Marcy over her wedding plans
-Cheering on Rambone softball at the games that aren't too late in the evening
And perhaps the best thing of all:
-Feeling Boogie kicking for the first time, and now every day

So, no, I still don't love summer - but it's been a pretty great one this year if you think about it...

No comments: