Monday, November 3, 2008

The Blogger is Back! (Part 2)

Sorry I have to do this in parts - - no Theresa, I'm not trying for cliffhangers - just trying to squeeze in some time for blogging when I'm not huddling over my baby or trying to eat and sleep and keep Penny the dog from getting too close to D.

At any rate - I was told I would have a c-section - and from there it was a rush of things going on. Dain was put in scrubs, my mom and mother-in-law were in the room waiting with me, and I was being prepped to be wheeled to the operating room. They said they'd come back for Dain. I was taken on a bed ride to the FREEZING cold operating room. Of course I'm in nothing but a hospital gown - and that's being removed for the incision. Doctors and nurses are rushing around, and I see the anythesiologist (I can't spell) by my head - telling me he's giving me more medication, and to try to relax as I was being covered partially with blankets and my arms were being strapped like I was being placed on a cross. The blue curtain went up right below my chin and they tried to wrap a towel around my head - but I told them I was claustrophobic and that wasn't a good idea. I notified the doctor that whatever they just gave me made me want to throw up - and they rummaged around for a "sick tray" but I couldn't wait - so the nurse just told me to turn my head, and I did - to have puke just running down my face, until my friend the pain doctor wiped it away for me.
After what seemed like an eternity - Dain walked in and sat down by my head and held my hand - and I felt like I was being tugged off the table, and like someone was sitting on my chest. Then I hear "here's his head" and then "here he is - do you want to stand up and see him dad?" Dain was hesitant, but stood up - and saw not only our baby, but me cut wide open...which I don't think he loved. Then, I heard a cry, and saw more rushing around and I just layed there waiting. Pretty soon they poked around the curtain holding up a white-covered baby that was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. He was born at 1:54 am and was 6 pounds, 15 ounces and 19 inches long. I saw him for about 10 seconds (literally) without getting to touch him, when they whisked him off to the Special Care Nursery with Dain, and I layed there more. My friend, the pain doctor told me he was giving me something to relax me, and the next thing I know - I was being wheeled back into my room where I saw my mom and mother-in-law waiting. I have no idea what happened then, or if I talked or didn't. I think I slept for a long while - and when I came to, Dain was back in the room with a video of our little man and footprints on the front of his scrubs. Apparently D had to have a bit of oxygen and other things done that were hard for Dain to watch - but were necessary.

I honestly don't know what happened over the next 24 hours. I know I got to go see the baby FINALLY at 11:30 the next morning. I got to hold him and couldn't believe it was real. I honestly don't know when I started pumping, or how the next few days went by. I know we started going to the nursery to feed him - which was through an NG tube in his nose, and we literally held up a syringe to watch it go down. I know I ate, and I watched TV, and had visitors, and spent as much time with him as possible. I know that his lungs were fine really quickly, and that he was doing okay, but he was in the isolette to keep his body heat regulated, and I couldn't hold him all the time - which was all I wanted to do.

I had to be wheeled to the nursery the first few days - and the first time I got up to shower I wasn't told to leave the door open or make it brief, and when I got out ring for the nurses help to dress my wound - I passed out. Then as two nurses walked me back to my bed - I passed out again. Good times.

Dain had gone back to work each day - so I spent my days back and forth to the nursery, taking cat naps, and talking to work to get things straightened out. I was technically supposed to be out of the hospital on Wednesday - but due to "hospitality" I was allowed to stay 2 more nights as I had a baby in Special Care. This was all well and good - as we were maybe going to go home Thursday anyways...

Then came Thursday...

2 comments:

Brianne said...

Wow Marie, I can't believe all that you went through to get that little guy here. I'm so glad you guys are okay now! He's so beautiful, too!

Anonymous said...

I remember the blue curtain and the cross-like way you are lying well. Like it was yesterday. My poor little poopsie.

Enough with the cliffhangers already.