Friday, June 6, 2008

Cribs (Not on MTV)

I'm loving this blog right now! It's great to be able to get the feedback from everyone on everything - especially the "stuff" I'm considering. I mean - 12 comments on my bassinet? I LOVE IT! (And now, I'm a blog dork).

So in the interest of keeping the opinions going...I'm going to bring up the crib. Get those comments ready!

I'm looking (online) at cribs. There are a million cribs out there, and they range in price from about $200 to $15,000! (I'm not kidding, I saw one for $14,995 on a website the other day). I'm a TERRIBLE decision maker...and in this case it's worse because I can't even decide on a style. I am a creative person, and I like to have unique looking items, usually in the retro or antique or earthy categories. However, these qualities aren't incorporating themselves into my crib search. The one thing I'd really LIKE is a crib that's a color...I love color. But, the cribs with color options are few and far between, and usually in the high price range.

Here are the things I'm taking into consideration:
1. I have a dresser that will be a part of the baby's room. However, it can be painted/stained. Still, I want to keep that dresser's style and look in mind.
2. I would like to have a convertible crib (that can turn into a toddler bed when the kid is too old for the bars).
3. Price is a factor. We're not loaded.

Here are some of the cribs I've been drawn to and why:

1. I like this one because it would go well with the dresser that I mentioned before that is already in the room. It's simple and a bit retro-ish. Cons: it's fairly low to the ground.

2. Here's a crib/changing table combo. I like this one. It's VERY mod...but I think could be cute with the right decor. Cons: I don't like the drawer handles & it's pricey!

3. This one is a little more traditional. I like the rails with the detail. It looks a bit antiquey to me which I like. I'm normally not a fan of the cribs with the higher back than the front. Cons: doesn't match the dresser.

4. I like that this one has some color. I'm normally not a fan of white - but I like the orange pop to it - and it's got a cute changing table to go with it. I could paint the dresser orange and then I'd have lots of color in the room I guess. Cons: it's white.

5. I'm OBSESSED with the color of this crib. I hate the style - but the maker of this crib makes another style in the same color options...in fact they have every color of the rainbow available. Cons: Really pricey.


SO there it is folks. I'm still a ways from making a decision - but that's where I'm at now. I had a great thought to go to Once Upon A Child and get a second-hand crib and paint it. Then I can make it whatever color I want! I guess that I still love the thought of the wood as well. Thoughts? I think once I find out what the little booger is and how I want to decorate is down, that will help!

3 comments:

laura said...

well, here's my initial reaction. buy a moderately-priced white crib that you really love and paint it. i had an old dresser that looked terrible that i spray-painted and changed out the knobs for audrey's room and you wouldn't believe how many comments i've gotten on it! i think it's going to be really hard to find a moderately-priced convertible crib that you absolutely love that also matches your dresser which is also a color you really like. and if you buy a $200, $250 white crib, i don't think you'd feel bad about painting it. target.com. great online selection and free shipping deals several times a year. xoxo lh.

Brianne said...

I really like # 1. The style definitely looks like you.

Anonymous said...

You said that crib #1 con was that it was low to the ground, but that's actually a pro. You can lower the mattress easily and it will easily convert into a toddler bed if you do what i did with Joey's crib (which you can do with any crib) and just take the front row of bars off and viola! toddler bed. I liked the white one, too, with the orange bottom. I also like the idea of buying something at a thrift store and painting it. that seems more Marie to me, anyway.