Friday, June 13, 2008

Penny or Lenny?

No these aren't the names I'm choosing for Petunia...

I'm writing a post about Penny - my Golden Retriever - and how her morning affected me.

Our dog is 3 years old, though she acts like a new puppy. She's the most excited, loving dog I maybe have ever come across. She thinks she's a lapdog, always trying to curl up slightly on top of you on the couch. She likes to jump up and greet every person that comes in the door. She never tires of walks, treats, her rubber donut (probably #6 in a series), or being patted on the butt. She just wants to love everyone...sometimes a little too much....

This morning at about 7:00 Dain leads Penny outside on her leash to do her morning business. I was sitting on the couch, lavishing in the fact that I don't have to be at work until 8:30 on Fridays. From inside I hear Dain screeching at Penny - though I can't make out what he was saying. I make it to the door to have him push Penny in the house, and give me a sad look. It seems Penny found a baby bunny in our bushes in the backyard, and apparently tried to drag it out to play...but that doesn't work when you're a big dog, and a baby bunny is, well, a baby bunny. The bunny didn't make it...and I cried for a good 20 minutes, and berated my poor dog who was probably just trying to make a friend. I can't help myself though. Have you MET me? I want to save every animal on the planet. I don't eat meat, won't wear leather, don't buy any products that test on animals, my checks benefit IDA, and want to hug on every animal I see. So, I guess that makes Penny and I alike in a sense. Thankfully for Petunia, I can control my "love".

I will refer to her for at LEAST the rest of the day as Lenny...who just wanted to love those rabbits. (Read Of Mice And Men, or go see the play, people).


Here she is with her new summer do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww poor penny-lenny! I know exactly what you mean. chelsey once accidentally killed a baby squirrel and i was so pissed at her. but it wasnt her fault, she didnt know what she was doing. now we have a bunny nest in the backyard. i hope the poor things come out alright