Monday, June 30, 2008

Scenes from a Babies R Us

There are no two people in this world that are more different than my husband and I.

Seriously - NO two married people have such different opinions, personalities, interests, and all around views than Dain and I do. I mean, when Paula Abdul sang "Opposites Attract", she must have been singing about us. (Now I'm thinking about the awesomeness that is that video and I must post it).


Ahh, a nice break. Now back to my story... Per my previous post I had determined it was time to get going on some things for this kid. Namely, the crib. We need to just start making decisions and moving forward. We have to purchase things slowly since we're not made of money...and if we want to spread them out...we have to start now!

We went to Babies R Us yesterday. Basically we just wanted to look at some cribs in person (since we hadn't yet), and check out the car seat that I love but have only seen online.
Dain was immediately amazed by the sheer amount of STUFF that is in that store. Babies require a lot of crap - but there is a surplus of bonus items in that store that don't really make sense to me. Add to that the fact that there's a portrait studio in that particular store, and you get an overwhelming experience for Dain.
We meandered through the aisles and wound up at the car seats - and we both really liked the one I had posted about a month ago. I was thrilled...we were agreeing on this stuff and it would be easy.
Until...

We got to the furniture section and that was that. For some unknown reason we're having a full on argument about the style of the furniture - and why we're not just buying a new dresser that matches the crib we pick, instead of painting the old dresser to go in the room. AHH. Dain thinks we should have all new things for the all new baby, that match and are the same color/wood. He likes the styles of cribs that I hate, and basically hates what I like. I was excited to paint the dresser to put my own "stamp" on the furniture, and don't care that we may have a colored dresser and wood crib/changing table. On the way home, it basically came to him telling me to just decide on whatever, and he'll live with it. I refuse to do this.

This is our life. Compromise because we're so different. Our version of compromise is that one person just sucks it up and deals with the other person's decision - it's never an actual compromise.
I don't know how the crib saga will end up, stay tuned. But, at least we like the same car seat!

2 comments:

marcy said...

sorry, i know it's not too funny, but i chuckled a bit when i read this - i got a clear mental picture of you and bain ready to kill each other around many small beings at babies r us. it will all work out, you'll agree on SOMETHING, eventually - just think, how did you agree on everything else that's just fabulous in your house??? and in the end it'll be the cutest, most eclectic, darling baby room ever. or else tell bain to.......well...you know what.

Anonymous said...

Here's a news flash. This is an opportunity to actually buy some new furniture for this baby -- go ahead. You'll have showers for most of your junk so you won't need to buy much of this and you'll get lots of clothes as baby gifts. Don't buy too much yet Natalie but invest your money in nice furniture. Buy a cheaper crib. You won't need it for long (2 years per kid) and then you'll be on to bigger and bigger beddies.