Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

That's right! After TOO long a hiatus - I'm back in the "official" theater saddle again!

For those of you who don't know (which I can't imagine who you are) - I'm a theater gal. I've always considered myself to be a theater gal. I was involved in high school, loosely involved in college, and involved on and off with community theaters, children's workshops, etc. When I moved to Chicago after college - I started auditioning again at community theaters, and just getting back into the groove. Then, when we finally bought our house in Geneva - I found my "home".

First Street Playhouse in Batavia became a home-away-from-home for me. I started producing shows, assisting with promotions, and stage managing. Soon I was on the public relations committee, volunteering at events, and even got back to my favorite part - being on stage. And then - I became a member of the board of directors, overseeing all the marketing efforts of our non-for-profit community theater. I got on stage some more, and even directed.

After 5 years of operating at the location on Water Street in Batavia, First Street Playhouse went dark (closed its doors) late last fall. It was truly sad...but had to be done for many reasons. However, the board stayed together - and set our sites on reopening in a new and better location - and in a city that needed/wanted us more - Geneva.

After months and months of planning and board meetings, and hosting a murder mystery fundraiser dinner - we finally are reopening!! We got the special use permit (needed for any theater in any commercial space) approved by the Geneva City Council last night, and tonight through Friday nights are the auditions for our first show! I'm so excited I could wet my pants (which actually could happen at any time to a pregnant lady!).

The new theater will be on State Street in downtown Geneva, in the basement level of an office building next to Urban Grille restaurant. We will be now known as the GENEVA UNDERGROUND PLAYHOUSE. And, I even designed our new logo!! Here it is!


So - that's my excitement. Of course I've been doing theater things for months - but now it's official - and I finally have a new "home"!

Now to pick which plays I read to Boogie first...

1 comment:

Brianne said...

That's awesome Marie! Congrats on the new location and I can't wait to check out the new shows!