Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away

I have yet to take pictures of the crib or mobile...I know...I'm sorry - but my time has been crunched lately - due to work, doctor appointments, theater rehearsals, and errands. Add to that the fact that my commute to and from work has truly become a nightmare. I work near O'Hare (about an hour commute on a good day)...and lately it's been taking me up to 2.5 hours to get one way! It's exhausting and frustrating. I am always thankful for my Prius in times like these!

A good deal of the commute issues this week came after the flooding of rainfall over Chicagoland last weekend. For those who didn't know - we got record amounts of rainfall, certain areas were declared "disaster areas", major highways were shut down due to flooding, and some people even had to evacuate their homes. Luckily Dain and I didn't have any housing disasters - our area wasn't as badly hit as others. Near O'Hare - where I work was a different story. This photo was sent to a co-worker of mine. Her friend took this at O'Hare airport on Saturday...
I can't believe it. I keep hearing stories from another co-worker of mine who lives just across the border in Indiana, where some of the worst damage occurred. He had helicopters circling the area on Sunday...

Though all this seems a bit crazy...I can't help but think of those affected by the hurricanes. In fact, I got this link e-mailed to me this morning - of some truly unbelievable photos of the damage to Texas/Haiti from Hurricane Ike. You won't believe this...(copy and paste in a new window) file:///Users/mariemeyer/Library/Mail%20Downloads/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.htm

It makes you grateful for the things you have. It really makes me less concerned that our hot water line is still leaking under the sink...and the fact that we've just shut off the hot water to the kitchen to avoid the problem until Dain has the time and patience to get under there to figure it out. I would - but squeezing my big butt under the sink is not pretty!

No comments: