Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kids By The Dozen

Has anyone seen this new show on TLC?? Kids By The Dozen. It features families that have more than 12 children...and follows them through an event or something so you can see how the family operates.
The Heppner Family has 16-17 kids.
The Arndt Family has 14 kids (13 boys and 1 girl!).
The Jeub Family has 13 kids.
And there was the Sentman family with 17 kids - who were thinking that a puppy would be too much work!!!

There's one family they've featured on TLC lots of times (on their own specials) - The Duggars - who are currently cooking baby #18. (www.duggarfamily.com). I like to refer to these people as the Crazy's. But that's for personal reasons I won't go into on this blog. (You don't want to start me on some of these things). Either way - if you look at their website - you'll see photos like this:
Uh - they have a cafeteria in their house...They have a COMMUNITY closet for all of them...One of the bathrooms has two toilets next to eachother?! Um...
WHAT WHAT WHAT???

Okay okay okay - so when I was little, I used to write stories and draw pictures of families with 12+ children. I loved naming them all. I loved giving them all the same face in the picture - just different heights and hairstyles. I loved having a few sets of multiples in there. Don't ask me why I did these things....I don't know.

Maybe it's because big families aren't that strange to me. My mom is one of 9. Every holiday gathering everyone is there...and it's a madhouse - but it's kind of amazing that she has that many members of her immediate family. The idea of being covered in family and grandkids and love was always appealing to me when I was younger - I used to think I wanted a ton of kids. I would always tell people I was going to have 7.

Now - I am wondering if it will go beyond Boogie! I can't imagine having that many children - making time for all of them - paying for all of them - sending them to college/dance classes/the movies?!?! WHAT? Nothing would be do-able anymore! You'd HAVE to streamline everything - you'd spend half your life preparing meals - these kids would be raising eachother partially, and isn't the point of having kids in the first place to raise them?

I don't know where this blog came from - other than the fact that I watched this show the other day and was fascinated and horrified simultaneously. I can't imagine this lifestyle...and maybe it's because I realize that each one of these women were pregnant that many times...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I TOO HAVE SEEN THE HORRIFYINGNESS OF THIS SHOW. God bless these people. I have no idea where they get their energy. I can barely cook for myself and the boy, much less think about making enough Hamburger Helper to feed 17 people. Every single day. Why would anyone wish this upon themselves? Ridiculousness.

Stephanie Wells said...

Two words: Social Responsibility. The Dalai Lama expressed true concern over 2 world issues for the future of this planet:

1. The peril of the environment and the global warming, etc.
2. Population out-of-control.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but sometimes people need to think about more than the world within their four walls because the world beyond that is not just theirs. I sound so pompous or something. Maybe Kohl was right, I need to get off my high horse? I love you Jon and Kate Plus 8!

Brianne said...

I caught the tail end of this show for the first time before Jon and Kate the other night and I was in awe of the minute and a half I witnessed.

I definitely beleive that less is more when it comes to kids. Maybe it sounds mean, but my personal opinion is that the children should never out-number the adults. A person only has so much time and energy to give and the less children, the more time each one has to spend with his or her parents.

That being said, I am a huge Jon and Kate addict and respect that some people think the more the merrier. It's all good, but I am not squeezing any more than one or two of those things out of me!

laura said...

yeah, this shit is outrageous. our population is out-of-control. just the trash that a large family generates. i mean, we're a family of 3 and we have 2 black bags of trash and at least 2 blue recycling bags and about 100 or so various pieces of cardboard (cereal boxes, junk fliers in the mail, gift boxes, etc.) that get thrown out EACH WEEK. for 3 people! and what about other social issues, like health insurance for all these kids? i love jon & kate plus 8, but how do they afford health insurance? we pay nearly $1000/mo for the 3 of us. now, the duggars--they're just crazy. i won't get started on that, either, marie. and she'll have more, too, besides the current one. she's gonna keep having babies till menopause comes along, which hopefully will be soon. aside from that, she has a real good chance of dying young. that's why women of yesteryear didn't live as long as women do today - because childbearing does take it's toll on the female body! frank's mom had 9 pregnancies and she was dead before age 70. my grandmas are still ticking along well into their 80s and only had 2 babies. birth control!!!!!! it's not abortion!!!!